Friday, February 8, 2013

Henna Storying...

    Yesterday I was blessed to be able to share the gospel using my foot...True story bro! My team and I went to Nairobi University, which is one of the biggest secular universities in Kenya. Our goal for the next few hours? Find "People of Peace", who are the ones who are open and receptive to the gospel and willing to bring new friends, and to make connections with them for follow-ups visits.

   Me, my roommate Emily Jo, and Kayla went inside the Cafe on campus and ordered something to drink and pray about opportunities. To me, it felt like we were wasting valuable time just sitting there after we finished praying... We began walking to the common area where everyone sits to chat or rest in the shade in between classes. Em Jo spotted a Muslim girl sitting by herself on a bench. We walk over and Em Jo asked if we can sit down. The girl said yes, and we began introducing ourselves and chatting about life, places to go, favorite things to do, and funny stories of experiences. We also talked about different cultural things.
   
    The girl's name was Haway (sounds like Hawaii!). She pointed out the Henna on my foot and Emily Jo explained that she is learning to do Henna. I told her it was my story, and asked if she wanted to hear it. She nodded and I began to share my testimony pointing out the symbols hidden in the Henna. At one point, while trying to fit the Gospel into my story, I mentioned Jesus was sent to earth to be the Son of God... Then I remembered Muslims believe that Jesus was a prophet just like Muhammad. All three of us cringed and started praying that she would be open to what God was saying through me. I watched her face carefully, and kept going. I explained what Jesus had done for me and how now he has told me to share my story with others. She said she liked my story and she surprised us by knowing more about Christianity than we thought! It turns out she took a CRC (Christian Religious Course) in High School!
       Then we began sharing and contrasting beliefs of Christianity and Islam. She was very receptive and respectful to what we were saying. One thing she was confused about is the Trinity. Since time was running short, we asked her if we could meet with her next week and talk about it some more and show her how to play Frisbee. She said that would be great. We meet with her next Tuesday.

     Afterwards, Me and Emily Jo were debriefing and reflecting on what God just did. He broke our hearts for this work he has already started on in Haway's life. He used our insecurities for his Glory and divine purpose! I believe He also was preparing us, mainly me, for our coastal mission trip we are taking in April where the population is 99.8% Muslim. It is so humbling that God could use us like that, even using a foot!

No comments:

Post a Comment