Sunday, March 24, 2013

Cooking? Me?!

   One of the things that I have had to learn here is to cook. Those of you that know me, know I don't cook... (I am still holding out for that dream of marrying someone who can!) And this is not just cooking with packaged stuff like in the states, this is cooking from scratch. Me and my teammates make a meal plan every week for each of us to cook one night a week. Breakfast and lunch are free for all. Since this plan we have experimented quite a bit and learned from some of our Kenyan and Indian friends.
*Most of the pictures are proof that I have cooked and no one has died. Yet.*
My first attempt at making popcorn on the stove... The only thing is I forgot to put the lid on it. My roommate and me started screaming trying to find the lid! I really really wish I had it on film..
 Shredding chicken for Mexican chicken! (I said, this one is for my mommy, she would be so proud!)
 The final product! It was DELISH!!
 Apparently they liked it too... At least they said they did.
My no-bake granola bars with chocolate chips.
 Amy's Triple fudge cake. (This was from a box, but the icing was hommade!)
 Trying out Mama's biscuit recipe. They turned out pretty great too! Btw, Amy hasn't cooked before either...
When it was Amy's night to cook, she decided to make ravioli from scratch.. Here she is rolling out the tough noodle dough..
 It's the shape of AFRICA!!! We were having too much fun making a mess, I mean cooking, and jamming out to music. :)

We stuffed them with Mozzerella cheese and mixed herbs. I lost count of how many we stuffed!
 I swear she is Italian.. But she says she is Swedish.. Whatever!
 The final dinner! Garlic toast, homemade ravioli, and fresh green beans!
 Our Indian friends Ektaa and Sonia. They came over and cooked Paneer, rice and naan.
 We all stayed in the kitchen to visit while they were stirring..
 (Paneer is fried cottage cheese in a tomato sauce, and Naan is like a puffy tortilla.) So good!!
 All of us girls!
 Ektaa is showing us how it's done!
Needless to say, I am ready to come back and show off my international cooking skills.. :) Anyone want to sign up for African or Indian night?

No comments:

Post a Comment