Sunday, March 10, 2013

What is happening?!

I woke up Saturday morning, (my day to sleep in mind you), to shouts, whistles, and air horns outside my house. At 7am! My first though was, what in the world are they doing up so early and what happened?! As my mind began to wake up and explore all possibilities, I remembered something very important... I reached for my ipod, checked my email, and searched Kenyan Election Results. They said they would announce the winner between Friday and Monday, which was already 6 days from voting day!
        Uhuru Kenyatta  won the election by 50.07% or 4,099 votes. That is what I was afraid of. With such a close race, I was sure there was bound to be noise outside, but I did not expect celebrating! Then I get an email from the embassy to avoid certain areas of the cities, large crowds, etc. There were a few "demonstrations" in certain local areas, but none severe. The churches here have all come together with one message: "Let us be ambassadors of peace and show the world!" God has been working in these Kenyans!
           There was so much tension in the air: no one was out and about, shops were closed, school was out, and no traffic anywhere in the city. It seemed everyone was holding there breath. Not because of the voter count, but what was bound to happen after that. No one wanted violence. They did not want to be known for that. Even though Kenyatta started the violence last election (1,000 killed, and 600,000 families forced to move..) , for which he goes to trial for next month, his tribe (the largest in Kenya) stood behind him as best as they could. 

While all of the counting... and waiting... and praying... was going on, we were stuck on the 23-acre compound for the week. But I am not going to lie, it was like a vacation! Movie nights, Bonfires, sunbathing, soccer, running, sleeping, bible study, meetings, prayer meetings, all concluded our stay at our "exotic resort". Plus I got to make new friends with a few of the workers kids. :) 

          The coolest part about this long story: while we were literally sitting her doing nothing, God was at work. Big time! One of the guys from Nairobi University, Tom, accepted Christ! Chad, a crazy member of our team, has been leading a men's bible study on campus. Tom is one of the guys who we would have never thought would make up his mind. He called Chad and told him he was ready! 
            Also, one of the girls from our Bible study accepted Christ over the weekend!! She totally surprised us and I literally CANNOT WAIT until I get to hear all about it! 
           The best part: God is showing me that he is still working at home in my friends lives. Several of them have messaged me and those conversations have lead me to share the gospel with them, which is the farthest I have ever got to go with them! He reminds me that he doesn't need me there to finish the work he has to do in these precious people, and that he can still use me from the other side of the world. It is truly amazing. So Bwana asefiwe! (Praise the Lord!) 

Thank you for all the prayers!! Love you guys! 

No comments:

Post a Comment