Saturday, February 17, 2018

Everyone Loves Introductions, Don't You?

I made it! I have officially been in Canada longer than I have ever been at one time! It's been an incredible two-almost-three weeks since arriving and there is so much to tell! Miracles have been happening all around me I can barely keep up with all of them. The Lord continues to bless me in the friendships I reconnected with and countless opportunities to make new ones. I'm still getting settled into my new surroundings, but I still feel like I wake up in a new world every day. Literally! Campus is growing so rapidly, it seems a new building opens everyday! Here is a few picture I snapped around campus and a few cool stories behind them! Enjoy!

The public transit system in Vancouver is amazing. They do a really good job at moving thousands of people where they need to be on a pretty consistent schedule! 

 This is my apartment building as you just enter campus :) It's two blocks from the bus loop, a 3 minute walk to Starbucks, McDonald's, and the Dollar Store! 
This is called "Main Mall" which is the main walkway through the heart of campus. (I'll share a map with you later) 
 At the north end of campus you can see this beautiful mountain range beyond the water. 
 This is one of the oldest buildings on campus! Just look at the old clock tower! 
This building has had a lot of movies filmed in it, including Harry Potter apparently. 


 Magnificent isn't it?  
This is the beautiful Forestry building. This is a popular major at UBC as well and I can't tell you how many students I have met that study Forestry.  
 This is Regent College, which is the "seminary of UBC" and it is practically across the street from my apartment!
 This is on the coast of campus called Wreck Beach. Beautiful even on cloudy days!
 This is a neighborhood on the south side of campus that is growing rapidly! Wesbrook is home to many new apartment buildings, community center, a high school, a tea shop, Blenz coffee, Menchie's frozen yogurt, and Save On Foods. I walk the mile to come grocery shopping for things I need and don't have time to go off campus to shop :) 
 The neighborhood is beautiful!


What do my weeks look like? Good question! I am actually still tweaking my schedule and getting used to a new normal, which will take a little bit longer than I thought. There is a season and a time for everything. 
On Mondays all the Christian clubs on campus welcome people to a group called Alpha. We have a meal together and everyone is assigned to a table. After dinner and fellowship, we watch a film about different topics that lots of people ask when they are seeking Truth. Last week we discussed, "What is prayer and how do we pray?" After watching the thought-provoking video, we discuss at our tables our impressions of the video and share personal experiences. This creates a warm and welcome place for people of all faiths to come and ask their questions about Christianity. I have only been there twice and have been amazed at how open people are with each other! There has been over 15 decisions to follow Jesus already this semester! Any many more who are still curious and ask more questions! Praise the Lord! 
Tuesday (or whatever day is best for all of us to meet during the week), is when we have Origin Staff meetings at the Beanery, my favorite coffee shop! 
Last week I also attended all of the "Life Groups" that are lead by members at Origin that discuss about the sermon from the previous Sunday. It was a great way to meet lots of people and have personal conversations with everyone! 

I did have a couple breakthroughs this week. I haven't gotten lost or missed a bus in a week, I actually run into a few people I know while walking through campus (which is SO EXCITING!), I have shared many meals with many random people this week, I have been welcomed into many homes, apartments, and study halls. Seems like every time I meet someone new they say, "Wait, YOU'RE Brindley?!" Which is a very scary thought... I also forget that this has been a three year process of praying and seeking and talking with people here what the Lord has been showing me. So the secret is out! I am here because God sent me and I am just as excited as my coworkers are! :)

Stay tuned for more stories and cool God moments as I walk through this journey with you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment