Tuesday, January 12, 2021

The Power of Habit

It’s a new year and we are all tempted to read (or write!) blog posts about new resolutions we want to implement. One advantage of quarantine is that you have a choice to “fix” a routine, considering every day is pretty much the same. Since this is my second 14-day self-isolation sentence in 6 months due to traveling, I discovered the magic of having a consistent routine.

Humans do better with routine or structure, (up until a certain point that is). Daily structure can be very helpful now that we have all become more “internally structured” rather than relying on external structure to govern our time.

I found myself asking: What routines or habits to I already have in place? Things I do everyday:

I thank God for the day even before I set foot out of bed. Thank you for this day, for waking me up this morning and for giving me purpose.

I make a cup of coffee. If I am honest, I have turned into a coffee snob and make a homemade drip coffee with a specific kind of coffee beans, filter, water tempt, etc. I have gotten to where I enjoy the process!

I have a “Devo/Jesus time” every day. Sometimes I listen to worship music, pray through my list, read my Bible reading plan, and journal. Other times I sit in silence and just make a mental grateful list.

I eat breakfast and drink water. LOTS of water!

I try to cook/fix at least one meal a day.

I try to do some kind of physical exercise or stretching, even if it is only 10 minutes. (In addition to a workout routine.)

I dwell on the positive, instead of the negative. I focus on things I can control, like my reactions, and pray about the things I can’t. Why stress myself or worry about things that are out of my control and put my trust in the One who CAN?  

I clean up my space so I can start fresh in the morning – all the dishes are washed, everything is put away or stashed out of sight, closet door is closed, etc.

I wash my face, brush my teeth/floss, shower, moisturize.  Every. Single. Night.

I read something before bed. Usually a fiction that is easy to follow!

Thank God for the day, his provision, protection, and care over me as I drift off to sleep.


Mot of these are habits that I do without any effort. However, what if I were to be more intention with the habits I do have instead of introducing new ones that take 21 days to become habits? Can I pray or listen to the audio Bible while I cook? Can I memorize scripture while I brush my teeth?

What are some of your routines you have found helpful? What do you do every day, without fail?



“You’ll never change your life until you change something you do daily. The secret of your success is found in your daily routine.” 

— John C. Maxwell

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/340617

No comments:

Post a Comment